28 October 2019 – Mamelodi Sundowns Ladies continue their dominance in the new SAFA National Women’s League as they came from two goals down to defeat First Touch Academy 3-2 at the Seshego Stadium on Saturday (26 October 2019).
With two quick goals in the first half (22ndand 37th) by First Touch captain and Banyana Banyana defender Noko Matlou, the Limpopo side thought they were well on their way to inflicting the first defeat on the Sundowns Ladies, but the Chloorkop-based side had other ideas.
Karabo Dhlamini pulled one back shortly after the restart (47th) before Rhoda Mulaudzi found the equaliser almost on the hour mark (59th) and Morifi Chuene scored the winner three minutes before the final whistle (87th).
The victory sees Sundowns maintain their lead at the top with 24 points after eight rounds of matches have been played – they are yet to lose a match.
First Touch drop two places down from the third spot.
Second-placed Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) is still breathing down the necks of the log leaders after winning the battle of the educational institutions – beating hosts University of the Western Cape 3-2 with goals from Pride Nthite, Hilda Magaia and Salome Kekana in Cape Town.
TUT has 22 points and together with Sundowns, are the only unbeaten teams in the league.
Bloemfontein Celtic Ladies travelled to Mahikeng, North West and collected three points from Golden Ladies at the Montshiwa Stadium.
The victory sees the Free State side jump to fourth place on the table with 14 points – just one shy of third-placed Coal City Wizards who beat Thunderbirds 3-0 at the Witbank Stadium.
At the Nike Football Training Centre, the University of Johannesburg had the better of Tsunami Ladies, emerging 3-0 winners, while Durban Ladies showed no mercy to bottom of the table Richmond Ladies – the KwaZulu Natal outfit won 3-1.
All matches were played on Saturday, 26 October.
Stats for #SNWL so far:
- Sundowns and TUT haven’t lost a match
- Sundowns have won all their 8 matches, TUT 7
- TUT are the highest scorers with 28 goals, followed by Sundows on 26
- Golden Ladies and Richmond Ladies have scored the least number of goals with 6 each
- Sundowns have conceded the least number of goals (4) followed by Celtic (7)
- Richmond Ladies and Tsunami Queens have let in more goals – 28 and 24 respectively
- Sundowns, University of Johannesburg, Tsunami Queens & Richmond Ladies have never played in a drawn match – it’s either a win or a loss
- Thunderbirds, Tsunami Queens & Richmond Ladies have registered only one win each
- Tsunami Queens & Richmond Ladies have lost more matches – 7 each
WEEK 8 RESULTS:
|44||FIRST TOUCH ACADEMY||2 – 3||MAMELODI SUNDOWNS||Seshego Stadium|
|43||GOLDEN LADIES||0 – 2||BLOEM CELTIC||Montshiwa Stadium|
|45||DURBAN LADIES||3 – 1||RICHMOND LADIES||Nike Centre Stadium|
|46||COAL CITY WIZARDS||3 – 0||THUNDERBIRDS LADIES||Witbank Rugby Stadium|
|47||UNIVERSITY OF WC||2 – 3||TUT||UWC Stadium|
|48||UNIVERSITY OF JHB||2 – 1||TSUNAMI QUEENS||UJ Soweto Campus Stadium|
Current Log Standings
|3.||Coal City Wizards||8||4||3||1||17||9||8||15|
|5.||First Touch Academy||8||4||2||2||20||12||8||14|
|6.||University of JHB||8||4||0||4||11||13||-2||12|
|7.||University of WC||8||2||4||2||15||10||5||10|