21 December 2017 – Defending champions, Khenza FC (K FC), failed to progress to the last 16 of this year’s Discovery Walter Sisulu Soccer Challenge after both Senaone Gunners FC and The Boys FC won their respective matches on Thursday afternoon (21 December 2017) to finish as Group A’s top two sides.
Senaone Gunners finished ahead of the pack with 16 points in the bag following their impressive 11-0 hiding over Boca FC, while a 3-0 win over Emndeni Super Spurs was enough to see The Boys deny K FC the required room to slip into the last two of their group in their final group fixtures.
Gunners coach, Veli Vilakazi, expressed how pleased he was over his side’s impressive performance on the day. The coach also added he’s even considering to call upon his former players such as Bidvest Wits defender Thulani Hlatshwayo, Netherlands-based attacking midfielder Thulani Serero and Polokwane City midfielder Jabu Maluleke, to help them out in their bid to go as far as they possibly can in this tournament.
“We were very much aware that we needed to win our final game today in order for us to go through and deny whichever team who were also in the running for a top two finish, room to do so,” said Vilakazi. “I always say that never give your water which is meant keep you alive in a desert. It’s quite unfortunate that KFC didn’t go through this year, being the defending champions and all. However, that’s how football is.”
“Our target is to reach the last eight for now,” added Vilakazi. “I’m hoping to get some of my former players such as Thulani Serero, Tyson Hlatshwayo and Jabu Maluleke to help strengthen this team moving forward. This is a very young squad which I’ve assembled here, and I believe getting these three players, will see us reaching the quarter-finals of this tournament. That’s our goal.”
DAY 21 – DISCOVERY WALTER SISULU SOCCER CHALLENGE
1. Glen Youth Development 0 vs. 1 R Boys FC
2. Pimville Cameroon 2 vs. 0 Pimville Tigers
3. Zakhele Sports Development 0 vs. 3 Dube Continental
4. Mogale City 0 vs. 2 Soweto Academy
5. Vaal Octopus 0 vs. 4 Protea Real Hearts
6. Schools United 1 vs. 1 Witbank City Academy
1. Glen United 2 vs. 0 Kopanang Bakwena (Bakwena disqualified)
2. Opopo Academy 0 vs. 2 BKM FC
3. The Boys FC 3 vs. 0 Emndeni Super Stars
4. K FC 6 vs. 1 Royal Lions FC
5. Senaoane Gunners 11 vs. 0 Boca FC
6. Ndengeza FC 2 vs. 0 Prestine FC
7. Hlokoloza FC 0 vs. 2 Movers FC
8. Black Madida FC 0 vs. 7 Rockville FC
9. Hope Talent 2 vs. 0 Orlando West Academy
10. Dube Continental 0 vs. 0 Pimville Cameroon
Follow #DiscoveryourExellence on Twitter for more Discovery Walter Sisulu Soccer Challenge news and results.
(IMAGE – Thato Pula of Boca FC challenges Skhumba Mhlangu of Senaoane Gunners FC during the 2017
Discovery Walter Sisulu Soccer Challenge match between KFC and Royal Lions at the Nike Football Training Centre in Soweto)
SELECTED MATCHES OF DAY 22
12H30 – SABELO SUPER SPURS F.C vs. African FOOTBALL SELECTION F.C
17H00 – SOWETO ALL STARS F.C vs. SABBATA F.C (No Longer playing as Sabbata F.C has been disqualified to play)
18H30 – LA- MASIA F.C vs. Thulani Chelsea F.C
Issued on behalf of Discovery by M-Sports Marketing: For Further Enquiries please contact: Kea Taele on 011 781 9724 email@example.com