21 March 2023 – Banyana Banyana coach Desiree Ellis has announced a preliminary 32-member squad to face Serbia in an away friendly international next month.
The match is part of the SASOL-sponsored South African senior women’s national team’s preparations for the FIFA Women’s World Cup to be held in Australia and New Zealand.
Ellis said she wants to sustain the momentum achieved by the team after finishing as the winners of their group at the Turkish Women’s Cup in Antalya, Turkey, last month. Her charges won Group A on goal difference after beating Uzbekistan 3-0, and drawing 1-1 with eventual runners-up Slovenia.
“We have a 32-player preliminary squad that we have chosen for this upcoming camp and 26 local players will go into camp on the 27th of March 2023,” she said.
“We thank the coaches in the Hollywoodbets Super League as well as the SASOL Women’s League. We thank them for the work that they’ve put in so far and we really appreciate every single player for this local camp. We want to make sure that we push them to the next level.
“We all know this is a very big year for women’s football and when the final 23-player traveling party to the FIFA Women’s World Cup is announced, we want to make sure that when we meet up with the other players that we’ve pushed them to a different level. This is all part of our preparation towards the World Cup. And as we said, we start now with what we plan to do at the World Cup and so far the players have responded fantastically in the last camp (in Turkey), and we hope we can take it to the next level in the next camp.”
The team will depart for Serbia on 6 April 2023 and then face the Serbians on 10 April 2023.
“We would like to congratulate the ladies who were selected to be a part of the preliminary Sasol-sponsored Banyana Banyana squad,” said Nozipho Mbatha, Sasol Senior Manager: Group Brand and Sponsorship, on the squad announcement.
“The international friendly game against Serbia comes at a pivotal time as the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup approaches. I implore the team to continue to work hard in camp as they prepare for this important friendly match. We believe that nothing is impossible if one is dedicated and the ladies remain focused to represent the country to the best of their ability.”
Banyana Banyana Preliminary Squad
- Andile Dlamini (Mamelodi Sundowns FC)
- Kaylin Swart (JVW FC)
- Regirl Ngobeni (UWC FC)
- Katlego Moletsane (Royal AM)
- Dineo Magagula (TS Galaxy)
- Asanda Hadebe (Sunflower FC)
- Karabo Dhlamini (Mamelodi Sundowns FC)
- Fikile Magama (UWC FC)
- Tiisetso Makhubela (Mamelodi Sundowns FC)
- Lonathemba Mhlongo (UWC FC)
- Noko Matlou (SD Eibar)
- Bambanani Mbane (Mamelodi Sundowns FC)
- Bongeka Gamede (UWC FC)
- Refiloe Jane (Sassuolo FC)
- Sibulele Holweni (UWC FC)
- Thubelihle Shamase (UJ FC)
- Linda Motlhalo (Glasgow City)
- Kholosa Biyana (UWC FC)
- Cimone Sauls (JVW FC)
- Nomvula Kgoale (TS Galaxy)
- Robyn Moodaly (JVW FC)
- Amogelang Motau (UWC FC)
- Noxolo Cesane (Tigres femenil)
- Gabriela Salgado (JVW FC)
- Sphumelele Shamase (UJ FC)
- Jermaine Seoposenwe (FC Juarez)
- Melinda Kgadiete (Mamelodi Sundowns FC)
- Nthabiseng Majiya (Richmond Ladies)
- Hildah Magaia (Sejong Sportstoto)
- Lelona Daweti (Mamelodi Sundowns FC)
- Ntombifikile Ndlovu (UWC FC)
- Wendy Shongwe (TUKS FC)