28 January 2020– The South African Men’s Olympic Team will know who they face in the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games in April when the draw for the final tournament takes place on 20 April at NHK Hall in Tokyo.
Football at the Olympics will be played from 22 July to 8 August 2020 in Japan.
Already 12 nations, including the hosts, have qualified.
South Africa booked their spot alongside CAF sides Egypt and Ivory Coast. Also going into the hat are France, Germany, Romania and Spain (UEFA); New Zealand (OFC) as well as Australia, Saudi Arabia and South Korea (AFC).
Completing the 16 nations are the four remaining countries, which will come from CONMEBOL (2) and CONCACAF (2).
Brazil are the men’s defending champions.
The competition consists of two stages:
- The 16 teams will be drawn into four groups of four teams
- A group stage followed by a knockout stage
- Hosts Japan are automatically seeded into Pot 1 and assigned to position A1
- The remaining teams are seeded into their respective pots based on their results in the last five Olympics (more recent tournaments weighted more heavily), with bonus points awarded to confederation champions
- No group can contain more than one team from each confederation.
A total of seven stadiums will be used in Japan:
1. National Stadium, Shinjuku 60,102 (capacity)
2. Tokyo Stadium, Chofu 48,000
3. Saitama Stadium, Saitama 62,000
4. International Stadium, Yokohama 70,000
5. Ibaraki Kashima Stadium, Kashima 42,000
6. Miyagi Stadium, Rifu (Miyagi) 48,000
7. Sapporo Dome, Sapporo (Hokkaido) 42,000
MEN’S QUALIFIED TEAMS:
|Host country||7 September 2013||N/A||1||Japan|
|2019 UEFA European U-21 Championship||16–30 June 2019||Italy San Marino||4||France Germany Romania Spain|
|2019 OFC Men’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament||21 September – 5 October 2019||Fiji||1||New Zealand|
|2019 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations||8–22 November 2019||Egypt||3||Egypt Ivory Coast South Africa|
|2020 AFC U-23 Championship||8–26 January 2020||Thailand||3||Australia Saudi Arabia South Korea|
|2020 CONMEBOL Pre-Olympic Tournament||18 January – 9 February 2020||Colombia||2||TBD|
|2020 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Championship||20 March – 1 April 2020||Mexico||2||TBD|