22 November 2019 – On Sunday, 24 November 2019, the curtain will fall on the 2019 edition of the annual Clinix Stix Morewa Soccer Challenge.
After weeks of action throughout Soweto, the remaining finalists will battle it out for the top prizes in the competition.
Action starts on Saturday, 23 November with the semi-finals of the U-13, U-15, U-17 and Ladies sections take to the field to determine who goes through to the finals on Sunday.
First up will be Soweto Sports Academy vs FC Barcenal (U-13) at 10h00. Glenridge United vs FC Barcenal (U-15) at 10h45 will follow this. The White City Spurs vs FC Barcenal (U-17) clash will take place at 11h30, while the Ladies Open match between Diepkloof Ladies and Etwatwa Ladies FC is at 15h00.
|CLINIX Stix Morewa Soccer Challenge|
|Saturday 23 November 2019|
|Semi Finals||Nike Centre|
|1.||Soweto Sports Academy||vs.||F.C. Barcenal||Under 13||10h00|
|2.||Glenridge United F.C.||vs.||F.C. Barcenal||Under 15||10h45|
|3.||White City Spurs F.C.||vs.||F.C. Barcenal||Under 17||11h30|
|4.||Diepkloof Ladies F.C.||vs.||Etwatwa Ladies F.C.||Ladies||15h00|
The winners here will return on Sunday to face the teams that have already qualified for the finals.
The first match of the day is at 09h00 and will see SRS Amagents FC take on Diepkloof Rocks FC (U-11), while Orlando Winter Roses FC and Soweto Sports Academy/FC Barcenal (U-13) will locks horns on the other field at the same time.
In the U-15 section at 09h30, Super Spurs FC lies in wait for the winner between Glenridge United and FC Barcenal. The U-17 ladies will pit Blackpool Ladies against Diepkloof Ladies at 10h00, and the male version will follow at 10h30 where Super Spurs FC will face FC Barcenal/White City Spurs.
There is also lots of fun for the spectators when the Clinix Staff team goes toe to toe with some Legends – kick off is at 11h00.
Some of the Legends expected to be there are former Moroka Swallows fast running forward, Naughty Mokoena, and Orlando Pirates midfielder with an educated left foot, Eugene Zwane.
At midday (12h00), the ladies will take centre stage when Soweto Fabulous Ladies take on one between Diepkloof Ladies and Etwatwa Ladies to see who will emerge victorious.
The curtain raiser will be a special match of the U-9s between Senaoane Gunners and Diepkloof Paradise at 13h30.
The last match of the day will kick off half an hour later (14h00) and will be the final between Ama-Unity FC and CWJ Hungry Stars FC.
The winners will walk away with medals and a trophy.
|Sunday 24 November 2019|
|1.||SRS Amagents F.C.||vs.||Diepkloof Rocks F.C.||under 11||09h00|
|2.||Orlando Winter Roses F.C.||vs.||SS Academy/FC Barcenal||Under 13||09h00|
|3.||Super Spurs F.C.||vs.||Glenridge U/FC Barcenal||Under 15||09h30|
|4.||Blackpool Ladies F.C.||vs.||Diiepkloof Ladies F.C.||Under 17 F||10H00|
|5.||Super Spurs F.C.||vs.||F.C. Barcenal/WC Spurs||Under 17||10h30|
|7.||Soweto Fabulous Ladies F.C.||vs.||D/K Ladies/Ethwathwa||Ladies||12h00|
|8.||Senaoane Gunners F.C.||vs.||Diepkloof Paradise F.C.||Under 9||13h30|
|9.||Ama-Unity F.C.||vs.||CWJ Hungry Stars F.C.||14h00|
- The Clinix Stix Morewa Challenge is well known for unearthing new football talent
- The annual competition was founded by the Clinix Health Group and the Soweto Football Association (SFA)
- The intention is to not only enrich the community by encouraging children to play football, but to also show them that a healthy lifestyle and healthy attitude can lead them to a brighter future
- The Clinix Stix Morewa Soccer Challenge began in 2004 to commemorate the memory of the late Solomon ‘Stix’ Morewa
- Besides being the Marketing Director of Clinix Health Group, ‘Stix’ was also a soccer legend and a former President of the South African Football Association (SAFA)
- He was very passionate about football and believed that soccer could help with the development of the youth and also realise their potential. It is in his memory that Clinix Health Group honours him through the annual Clinix Stix Morewa Soccer Challenge
- This is the 15thyear of the Tournament, which has grown in leaps and bounds
- Over the years the Challenge has evolved into a competition that not only includes Under 9’s playing, but has also highlighted the importance of female players being involved in the ‘beautiful game’
- Football players such as Banyana Banyana Banyana vice captain, Refiloe Jane, who now plies her trade in Italy in the colours of European giants AC Milan, are alumni of the Soccer Challenge
- Others who have graced the Soweto fields in this tournament are Sifiso Vilakazi, Sifiso Zulu, and Lehlohonolo Thuntsane
- This year the challenge had 1200 teams playing, including ladies teams.
For further enquiries, kindly contact:
Phil Mogodi on email@example.com +27 72 172 6043