16 September 2019 – Glad Championship side TS Galaxy continued their dream start to their maiden Total CAF Confederation Cup appearance.

They defeated Madagascar’s CNaPS Sport 1-0 on Sunday (16 September) in a first leg of the Round of 16 at the Mbombela Stadium in Nelspruit.

Galaxy, who play in second-tier of South African football secured their home win, thanks to Sanele Barns goal in the opening five minutes.

Barns scored what proved to be the game’s lone goal, giving Coach Dan Malesela’s troops a vital win against a stubborn CNaPS Sport side that tried to equalize, having created many scoring chances.

The hosts remained resolute, even after midfielder Sihle Nduli limped off with a broken wrist after 67 minutes, with Mosha Gaolaowle replacing him.

The return leg is scheduled in a fortnight in Madagascar, with the aggregate winner reaching the playoffs to face a team relegated from Total CAF Champions League for a place in the lucrative group stage.

Meanwhile in the Total CAF Champions League, Mamelodi Sundowns recorded a 5-0 victory over Cote d’Or on Saturday afternoon.

The clash took place at Stade Linite in the first leg of the Round of 16 clash.

The Brazilians took an early lead in the third minute from Motjeka Madisha’s pinpoint cross, which was headed powerfully by Samuel Mabunda past goalie Jean-Paul Lesperance.

Cote d’Or grew in the match in the second half as Ugandan Tony Kizito went agonizingly close to level the score in the 58th minute.

Sundowns though raised their game and went further ahead in the 71st minute from Mabunda’s teasing cross which was headed home by Lyle Lakay to make it 2-0.

Three minutes later, the 2016 CAF league champions capitalized on a slip by defender Sergio Barra allowing Sphelele Mkhulise to pick out Lakay who bagged his brace for a 3-0 score.

Sundowns scored again in the 77th minute from a clever back heel by Mkhulise to Mabunda who rifled the ball into the net for a 4-0 lead for his second goal of the day.

Cote d’Or suffered further misery in the 81st minute as they were reduced to ten men after substitute Herve Cesar pulled down Mkhulise who was clear through on goal and was sent off.

Wayne Arendse completed the rout in the 87th minute from Oupa Manyisa’s through ball, which he thumped past goalie Lesperance for a 5-0 final score.


James Barra (Head Coach, Cote d’Or coach)

We were still in the match with twenty minutes remaining but we seemed to lose our concentration and gave away the goals against a very good team that punished our mistakes.

Benoit Marie (Captain, Cote d’Or)

We played against a very top class opponent which forced us to defend but we kept the match tight until we made some individual errors which cost us dearly.

Pitso Mosimane (Head Coach, Mamelodi Sundowns Player)

It is always nice to win with a big score but our opponent resisted our pressure in the first half. They came at us in the second half and we managed to penetrate their defence as the match opened up.

Wayne Arendse (Mamelodi Sundowns)

We came here for this match not knowing much about our opponent so we decided to keep the ball and got them to chase before we broke through to score. We did not concede which is therefore a good away result.