5 August 2019 – Midfielder Mamello Makhabane will join an elite group of players when she plays in her 100th match for South Africa in the clash against Madagascar in the 2019 COSAFA Women’s Championship.
This is the third and final group stages fixture.
Makhabane is part of the six changes made by head coach Desiree Ellis to the starting line-up.
The match takes place at Wolfson Stadium in Port Elizabeth at 12h45.
“This is one match I have always been looking forward to, I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would reach this milestone, especially taking into considerations that I have been plagued by injuries throughout my career. I can only thank God for the mercy he has bestowed on me to get to this point,” said an emotional Makhabane.
“Over the years I have been watching my teammates get to 100 caps and I must admit that they have inspired me to keep working hard and trust in my abilities so I can also get to celebrate this special day – now the moment has arrived and I can’t wait to get on the field. What would make it even more exciting will be winning against Madagascar. It’s been a great journey to get here, with a lot of ups and downs, but mostly good memories. Gratitude goes to all the teammates and coaches who have helped me along the way, not forgetting the fans that keep on encouraging us every time we run onto the field. God is indeed good all the time.”
Makhabane made her debut in 2005 against Zimbabwe where she scored three goals in a 9-0 victory, and was named Player of the Match.
She thought her career was over when she failed to make the cut for the 2012 London Olympics due to an injury, but she fought her way back.
In the 100-mile club, Makhabane joins the following elite players:
- Janine van Wyk (170 caps)
- Noko Matlou (160)
- Nompumelelo Nyandeni (149)
- Nothando Vilakazi (132)
- Portia Modise – retired (124)
- Refiloe Jane (110)
- Amanda Dlamini – retired (105)
- Mamello Makhabane – (100)
MAKHABANE FACT FILE:
- MIDFIELDER (6)
- DOB: 24 February 1988
- Birthplace: Welkom, Free State
- Nickname: Jabu
- Club: JVW FC (Johannesburg)
- Previous Clubs: Palace Super Falcons (Johannesburg)
- Current League: Sasol League
- Caps: 100
- Banyana Debut: vs Zimbabwe in 2005
- 2006 AWCON 3rd Place
- 2006 All Africa Games Champion
- 2007/08 Vodacom National Champion
- 2008 COSAFA U-20 Champion
- 2009 Sasol National Championship Runners-up (Palace Super Falcons)
- 2010/2011/ 2012 Sasol League National Champions (Palace Super Falcons)
- 2011 COSAFA Runners-up
- 2010 AWCON 3rd Place
- 2016 Rio Olympics
- 2018 AWCON 2nd Place
- 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup