15 March 2019 – SAFA and its technology provider Inqaku, in partnership with NAG and Vodacom 4U, are pleased to announce South Africa’s participation in the inaugural FIFA eNations Cup. Officially endorsed by FIFA as the National Championships of FIFA 19, the two winners of this event will represent South Africa at the inaugural FIFA eNations Cup in London on 13 and 14 April 2019, where 20 teams will have a shot at their share of US$100,000 cash prizes.
The South African online qualifiers will be held 23 and 24 March, offering gamers the opportunity to compete for a place to represent South Africa on the world stage.
SAFA Acting CEO, Mr Russell Paul said the Association was honoured by the invitation to participate in the first-of-its-kind event, adding that it was part of SAFA’s future plans to be visibly active in e-sports.
“We are thrilled to be involved in such an exciting initiative. The ever-growing world of gaming and technology in football is a space that SAFA intends to be a part of. We need to be relevant to all South Africans and that includes young people who are actively involved in gaming,” said Paul.
• The event will be managed and hosted online via the AGCL website
• There is no entry fee but participants must first register on AGCL to enter
• Qualifiers will be played on Xbox One and PS4 consoles
• 64-player limit per console category with a single winner will be awarded in each platform category
• Day One (Group Stage) held on Saturday 23 March 2019 from 11:00
• Day Two (Playoffs) held on Sunday 24 March 2019 from 14:00
• Participants can play in the qualifiers from home or any other venue with an internet connection
• Participants must be at least 16 years and above.
• Participants must be South African citizens
• Participants must be in possession of a valid ID document and passport
• Each winner will require a valid UK visa, at their own expense (FIFA and SAFA will assist with the supporting documents necessary for the application)
• Hotel accommodation and an economy class return flight to London departing from the major airport closest to each winner’s residence will be provided by FIFA, but additional costs (for example transport to and from the airport) is at your own expense
Entrants will be registered, verified with Home Affairs and issued e-sports-specific identity cards by SAFA’s proprietary registration system, MYSAFA.
For the detailed FAQ click here or for more information on how to enter go here.