The South African Football Association's (SAFA) General Council has elected Kirsten Nematandani as the new President at its elective Annual General Meeting held in Johannesburg today (26 September). Nematandani was elected unopposed following the withdrawal of other Presidential candidates Dr Irvin Khoza and Dr Danny Jordaan from the race.
Chief Mwelo Nonkonyana and Mandla Mazibuko were also elected Vice Presidents respectively. Five other candidates with drew from the race.
The elected six members from the national list are as follows:
- Alpha Mchunu
- Sam Masitenyane
- Henry Mosese
- Aubrey Baartman
- Truman Prince
- Nomsa Mahlangu
The nine elected provincial representatives on the NEC:
- Andile Ndengezi – Eastern Cape
- Elvis Sishana – Western Cape
- Mzwandile Maforvane – Free State
- Xolani Mtumtum – Gauteng
- Lucas Nhlapo – Limpopo
- Fanyana Sibanyoni – Mpumalanga
- Buti Lerefolo – North West
- Jan Koopman – Northern Cape
- Velaphi Kubekha – Kwazulu Natal
Earlier the General Council agreed to invest more funds in football development. Grants for the 52 SAFA Regions have been increased from one hundred and fifty thousand rands (R150 000) to two hundred and fifty thousand rands (250 000); with the nine Associate members receiving hundred and twenty five thousand rands (125 000) annually. It was further agreed that a scientific research be conducted to determine the challenges faced by Regions with specific reference to - Geographical challenges, availability of sponsors and generation of sustainable funding for development projects.
The General Council also took the following decisions.
- Dr Molefi Oliphant was appointed an Honorary Life President of SAFA.
- A proposal by SAFA Cape Town to rename the Athlone stadium after the late SAFA honorary member Vincent Baartjes was supported by the SAFA General Council. It is proposed that the stadium be renamed the Vincent Baartjes Unity Stadium.
- South African Football Supporters Association's application to become an Associate Member was declined on the basis that they don't have current structures in all the Regions of SAFA.