The South African Football Association (SAFA) has joined forces with the World Football governing body (FIFA) to conduct a course aimed at empowering goalkeeper coaches in the country.
SAFA and FIFA on Tuesday, 31 January 2012 launched a goalkeeper-coaching course that will run until the next Tuesday, 7 February and is taking place at the High Performance Centre of the University of the North West University, Potchefstroom Campus.
The SAFA CEO Dr Robin Petersen declared the course open.
“We are delighted to be one of the first Federations to host this course. Thanks to the participants for being here to upgrade their skills so we can together upgrade the sport in this country. This course speaks directly to some of our values and visions we have to make this Association one of the best in the world, and it comes at the back of a successful symposium we held last weekend. What you are going to acquire here must be for the good of the country, don’t keep it to yourself,” said Dr Petersen.
The 28 participants will undergo theoretical and practical training under the guidance of two qualified FIFA goalkeeper-coaching instructors, Louis Crayton and Alexander Vencel.
This is an elite goalkeeper-coaching course offered to former goalkeepers and goalkeeper coaches from the Premiers Soccer League (PSL), National First Division, Vodacom and Castle leagues as well football academies. It is also open to coaches in possession of the SAFA Level One coaching certificate.
Amongst those participating in the course will be the newly appointed goalkeeper coaching coach of the South African U17 Women’s national team (Bantwana), Delisile Mbatha. Two other Banyana Banyana products will join her – Busisiwe Khumalo, who is a former goalkeeper and the current senior women’s national team goalkeeper, Thoko Mndaweni. The fourth woman attending the course is Shiline Booysens, who is a senior coach at the Farouk Abrahams Goalkeeping Academy in Cape Town.
Other participants include former South Africa goal minders Simon Gopane, Andre Arendse and John Tlale as well as Farouk Abrahams.
There is also William Shongwe who is formerly with Kaizer Chiefs, Nigel Dixon from Santos, Stephan Ekakala from Platinum Stars and also coaches from the National First Division and the Castle League.
“In any team the goalkeeper is the first and last man – the last line of defence. It is unfortunate that this is one area that we have neglected for a long time; we have not done enough for this position, which is a specialised department that needs as much attention, as all the others. You are the pioneers that must lay the basic foundation. It is quite disturbing that today, the gap between our top goalkeepers is very wide, and I believe you will help in reducing it,” said SAFA Technical Director Serame Letsoaka.
At the end of the course, the participants will receive FIFA goalkeeper coaching certificates.
Here is the full list of participants:
1. Julius Dube (Chippa United)
2. Simon Gopane (SA U20)
3. Busisiwe Khumalo (Former Banyana Banyana)
4. Delisile Mbatha (Former Banyana Banyana)
5. John Tlale (Former Bafana Bafana)
6. Tsakane Shiburi (Orlando Pirates Development)
7. William Shongwe (Fernando FC – Castle League)
8. Tlou Mabotja (Bakone Ladies FC)
9. Sipho Zimba (SAFA Ethekwini)
10. Thomas Nare (Mamelodi Sundowns Youth)
11. Thoko Mndaweni (Current Banyana Banyana goalkeeper)
12. Farouk Abrahams (Farouk Abrahams Goalkeeper Academy)
13. Andre Bronkhorst (Bloemfontein Celtic)
14. William Okpara (Orlando Pirates)
15. Starvo Tsichlas - (Thanda Royal Zulu)
16. Musa Langa (Golden Arrows Development)
17. Brian van der Heever (Ajax Cape Town Youth)
18. Andre Arendse (Former Bafana Bafana)
19. Tendai Tanyayiwa (University of Pretoria)
20. Nigel Dixon (Santos)
21. Shilene Booysens (Farouk Abrahams Goalkeeper Academy)
22. Kalabase Jacob (Shamrock Flowers FC)
23. Ernest Mabouka (Alexandra United)
24. Geoffrey Mashele (Limpopo Schools)
25. Siyabonga Malinga (Golden Arrows Juniors)
26. Marcel Mayala (Bay United FC)
27. Allain Mushegera (Sivutsa Stars)
28. Stephan Ekakala (Platinum Stars)